Ribbon, Bows & Bling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for hair bow makers to learn tips, meet fellow bow makers and group buys

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  Ribbon and Bow StudioRibbon and Bow Studio  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

need some advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chantilly

Chantilly

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:20 am

Hi girls, I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. I don't usually do craft fairs at all. I've been asked to do my daughter's school fair in October and they are asking for a Public Liability certificate. I have no idea what to do. Markets are not my intention in the future, this is just a one off. Can anyone advise on what I should do. Obviously I don't want to be forking out hundreds of dollars because this just a school fair and like I said, a one of thing for me.
Any help would be so appreciated.
Channy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChantillyBowtique.com
Rosie2577

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:38 am

Hi Channy

I have been looking into the same thing at the moment as well, and just discussed the same thing with a high school in my area who said they needed public liability and be a registered business. I decided not to do it because the lady wasn;'t very nice about it all. However I do have a stall each year at one of the local primary schools and they just ask for an extra $5 on top of your stall fee to cover you for public liability.

I have since spoken with my accountant and can actually register a business name and go under my husbands public liability (he's a painter) which will be good.

Check out a post by "Michelle" asking a similar question on May 27, it has a lot of great info that may help.
Back to top Go down
Janine

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:48 am

Hi Channy,

This is the reason I no longer do any markets or fairs. You may find the odd one or two that don't require it but they are few and far between. When I looked into it it was about $200 for the year. Just not worth it to me.

If you talk to my DH (a lawyer) he will go on about how it is not required. The owner of the land/property has insurance but if there is an accident they don't want it claimed on their insurance. Unfortunately if someone is injured the lawyers for the injured party will sue all of them not just the stall holder just to cover their bases.

My belief is that it is insurance agents/brokers trying to scare the people holding the markets into buying extra insurance and then saying it will be cheaper for their insurance if all stallholders also have insurance. JMO!

Gook luck and let us know how you get on!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarahlauren.com.au
lovebeingamummy

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:55 am

i would have though you would be covered by the school public liabilty insurance. I work for bunnings and the sausage sizzles that get done for fund raising are usually covered by the clubs insurance.from what i have heard it is expensive to get.

HTH
Back to top Go down
mylilhobbi

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 am

I do know there are specific companies that specialize in market/fairs etc. But I think the going rate was around the $200.00 for the year. I would think you would want to be doing wuite a femake it worthwhile but I also believe some of them cover on off events.

Alot advertise in the Markets and Fairs magazine, the website is www.marketsandfairs.com.au

Under the insurance tab on the left you should be able to find what you need.

Hope this helps,

Joy
Back to top Go down
Chantilly

Chantilly

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:59 am

Thanks girls for all of your replies. Very Happy I've already got an ABN so have decided to go under my husbands business insurance. He will be working with me anyway so it works out well. If I decide to do more craft shows I'll look into getting my own insurance.
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChantillyBowtique.com
Sponsored content

need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some advice   need some advice Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

need some advice
Page 1 of 1