A place for hair bow makers to learn tips, meet fellow bow makers and group buys

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Ribbon and Bow StudioRibbon and Bow Studio  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Selling at Markets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kelbel

PostSubject: Selling at Markets   Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 am

Just wondering if anyone is selling their lovely creations at markets?

I have been thinking about doing myself.

Kelly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chantilly

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 am

I would love to but I just don't have the time unfortunately. I'm starting to wholesale a bit now as well as my usual orders and it just takes up too much time. If I had more time I would sell at the markets for sure though. I think it would be great to watch little girl's walk away from your stall with on of your bows in her hair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ChantillyBowtique.com
mum24

PostSubject: Subject: Selling at Markets   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 am

I am the same as Chantelle,

I have been invited to sell through a local boutique children's store and at our local markets but with work I am struggling to keep up with the orders that people email from facebook!
Am thinking of stopping the email orders and just making a range to sell at the markets at school ones to sell through the school offices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RUBES

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:47 am

I have just started selling at our monthly market. I have been selling baked goods but NEVER get any sleep that weekend so at least with the bows ect I can do it through the month.

We have our local show this Sunday and us market stall holders are having a combined stall so fingers crossed I make a few sales (just NEED to get these bows done lol).

I have spent today Korking...tomorrows plan is Pinwheels and maybe some Holders Smile

Cheers Rubes flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janine

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 pm

I have been doing some markets. I love to see the girls leaving the table putting the clips in their hair or comming over to show me ones that were bought at other times.

The worst part is finding a market that you fit into. I did one on the weekend and it was a flop. But we live and learn.

I do wholesale ordes for a local dance shop (and she does school uniforms) so hoping that slowly takes off.

If you decide to go ahead with markets I wish you the best of luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sarahlauren.com.au
kelbel

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for your replies.

A friend of mine designs stickers, books and posters and we were thinking of doing a stall together. I might go to a couple of markets and do some research before I decide if the time organizing it would be worth it. I think I would need to take a week off from regular orders in order to build up enough products to sell.

I have heard that it is hard to find a kids market with spots available before, but I haven't tried yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RUBES

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:43 am

Are there many bow sellers at kids markets? If not you could probably get a spot as your offering something different.

One of the big reasons I'm switching from baking to crafts is because atm we have none lol.

Cheers Rubes flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
christie78

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:54 am

I do markets... I normally do the children-specific ones (I would not so any others). However, my recommendations are:

• Only do one market if you are willing to do lots - by the time you buy all the bits you need to have a nice looking stall, you are going to need to do several markets just to pay for your set-up costs

Make sure you have a lot of pre-made stock. People at markets want to take something with them - custom orders are few and far between

You are ready to have people ask every random question under the sun - lots of people that go there just go there to kill time and may use you as a part of that!

I have made a lot of sales at the markets. But... If you have a steady stream of orders, I would not bother. It is a good stepping stone in the sense you build speed etc when making stock as you need so much, but it really is cheaper and more effective to sell online if you can

All-in-all markets have their ups and downs, but they are EXHAUSTING!!!! So be prepared to sacrifice some sleep for them!

-Christie
xxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bowtique.com.au
Hairbowfun

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:03 am

I am about to start a designer market and planning to make lots of stock with my clips and its going to be combined with m other brands I stock. So I am most likely to have some of Tracey's Bows (hint Wink) if she has time as we all know tracey is a woman in korker demand lol!
I want to focus on my pretty little clips so hopefully I will do well prob do it in the next fortnight.
the target market for this market is trendy people who like new designers very trend savy and of course parents who love their children looking perfect I expect to do ok at least cover the cost to start!
goodluck would love to know how you go!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheryl

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:33 am

When I move I plan on doing markets, so keep us up to date with the pro's and the con's you all have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tracey
Admin

PostSubject: Markets??   Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:48 am

Yes I totally agree with Christie, if you decide to sell at markets make sure you will be doing it for a while as

the inital outlay is costly. You will need tables, I had 3 which cost $80 each, boards or displays for you bows,

table clothes and much more.

It is great to start out but I found that people at the market that I was at were after cheap things and I had to

sell my bows way below the retail on my website. I get more wholesale for my bows now that I was selling

them for at the markets. But that weekly income was very helpful for starting out. I no longer have time to

attend markets, but it is a good place to start if the inital outlay you can keep low

Trace
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ribbonbowsandbling.forumotion.com
christie78

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Oh Trace, I knew someone would agree with me one day - hhaahaha

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bowtique.com.au
somethingforbella

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:17 am

I was going to our very popular local market, I sold alot the first two times then I only sold a few dollars worth on the next 4 times and was not making the rent. I know I should have stayed longer as I was getting a reputation there as 'the ribbon lady' but being a mum of four and my hubby getting cranky about every Sunday I was missing, I decided not to bother. I think in Tassie there is not alot of people willing to pretty their daughters hair up.

Locally my most success is for school korkers, I do more sales on line for the fancy items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selling at Markets   

Back to top Go down

Selling at Markets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1