A place for hair bow makers to learn tips, meet fellow bow makers and group buys

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Ribbon and Bow StudioRibbon and Bow Studio  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Heat Sealing Tool

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michelle

PostSubject: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know where you buy the tool that seals and cuts the ribbon in one go (and what it is called) and if you think this is quicker than cutting then sealing. I need to speed up my process a bit as I am doing more markets now.

Thanks
MIchelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheryl

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 am

It is called a wood burning tool, I got mine from a craft shop. I have had mine for a few years, but at the time was hard to find. Maybe someone else can point you to somewhere on-line.

Cheryl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 am

I have to find one too. been looking around for a while but never tried a craft shop lol. no one around here knows what Im talking about when I ask for a wood burner. after showing hubby some pics on the net he said its just like a soldering iron so he got me one. it works but I dont like using it because its too hard to control. I think the wood burner everyone else use is the same thing but has a shorter tip. the soldering iron is long and hard to control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/cheekyjasmine
Gena Leigh

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:15 am

Hi ladies,

I got a wood burner with a bunch of different tips on Ebay. Just put in 'wood burner' and you should find one.

Gena
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wholesalehairclips.com.au
Michelle

PostSubject: woodburner   Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:45 am

Hi all,

Waiting for a reply from US regarding a tool called a "perfect end thread burner" not sure what they are like but they are operated by a AA battery. I have ask them if they are available in AUS so I could see one before buying (they are on ebay). Does anybody have one or used on of these, they use to be sold by RABOM. Also if I buy the wood burning tool what do you use under it.

Michelle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:42 pm

i brought mine from bunnings - it is wonderful - I couldn't imagine life with out it Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheryl

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:52 pm

I got mine from Riot

www.riotstores.com.au/products/W/WOOD/AR/art-accessories/wood-burning-tool-30-watt-950f-point-temp/131782.aspx

Cheaper than the ones on e-bay (I hope the link works)

Cheryl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michelle

PostSubject: woodburner   Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks Cheryl, will go there this week. What do you put under your ribbon wheb cutting with this tool?

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheryl

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:46 pm

I have a glass picture frame from the cheap shop, and in it i have photocopied a ruler in cm and in inches, so I can measure and cut in one go.

Cheryl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Cheryl wrote:
I got mine from Riot

www.riotstores.com.au/products/W/WOOD/AR/art-accessories/wood-burning-tool-30-watt-950f-point-temp/131782.aspx

Cheryl
I was just there this afternoon and want to go in to see if they sold them but they were closing. I shouldn't have stopped at the the pet shop next door beforehand.
Back to top Go down
Michelle

PostSubject: Clever   Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Cheryl,

Thanks for that, how clever! I will definitely use that idea.

MIchelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michelle

PostSubject: Hi Guys   Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:45 am

Just purchased one in Bunnings, wish I had bought it sooner what a time saver!! I will get through things much quicker but may have a few more burnt fingers!

MIchelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 am

don't worry - you wont burn your fingers, but it will burn EVERY thing around it, especially look out for the glue gun LOL! I am super paranoid using with with the kids around, now every time they come near my desk, they ask if it is on!

But yes, it will make life alot easier and more professional! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:47 pm

I bought mine today from Riot craft store. Just waiting on tomorrow to try it out when My hubby isnt here. I spent so much money today & just didnt want to tell him I also bought this.
Back to top Go down
Michelle

PostSubject: Cutting   Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Got stuck into cutting with my wood burning tool, and couldn't stop my hubby thinks I'm nuts! I used a cheap glass frame over a cutting matt and it worked perfectly. The only problem is I have cuts all over my little finger. I couldn't work out why then realised it was from the edge of the glass frame! So maybe if you try this put some masking tape or similar around the edges of the glass, or else cover your little finger with bandaids. :-)

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janine

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:05 am

To cut my ribbon I have a glass cutting board from Target. It is dimpled on the front so I turned it over so it is smooth and have some of that non slip stuff you use in drawers underneath it so it does not slip.

You can even mark it with a permanent marker for measurments you do a lot. It wipes off after a while so you change it all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sarahlauren.com.au
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Can you believe it I sat down last night to cut out some fabric petals with my brand new burner & noticed that the little tube of tip that came with it is missing. I had it just a few hours earlier. Im sure my son got to it because my things were a little messed up. So now I have the wrong tip on the burner & it makes it hard to use. Im going to have to go back to the riot craft shop on monday to see if they sell the tips on their own. Hope I can find it before then.
Back to top Go down
Michelle

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Isn't that always the way, when you really want to do something, something goes wrong! If they don't sell the tips try Bunnings, they might have something, but I hope they turn up for you.

MIchelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 am

I found them this morning thank goodness. They were all under the lounge but not in the tube they came with. I found the tube later in his toy box chewed. Im going to have to move my things again.
Back to top Go down
lovebeingamummy

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 am

Cheryl wrote:
I got mine from Riot

Cheryl

thankyou for the link i am getting one my sil is picking me up one cos i can't get there while it's still on sale

now i have a really dumb question do you think you could use a piece of acrylic to cut on instead of glass or will it melt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janine

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:03 am

The acrylic will melt. I just bought a cheap glass cutting board from Target. It is smooth on the bottom so I just took the little plastic feet off it. You can also mark it with a permanent marker with measurements you use all the time. It saves a lot of time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sarahlauren.com.au
lovebeingamummy

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 am

thanks i will get one when i get to the shops next
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goldfieldsgirlheather

PostSubject: Re: Heat Sealing Tool   Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Michelle, i'm just starting out and i bought my heat (wood burning tool) from Bunnings. I only use it for making slits in my ribbon, i prefer to use a gas lighter to seal the ends of my ribbons.
Cheers
Heather
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Heat Sealing Tool

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ribbon, Bows & Bling ::  :: -